Saturday, August 12, 2006

Survival Research Labs @ Zero One


So we got tickets to go see the Survival Research Labs show at the Zero One Art Festival in San Jose. We got there just in time to stand in the front area, we dug through our bags for earplugs but it was no use, we had none. Then this lady came through passing them out to everyone. I was very happy to see this, so important, and my $25 dollars for the ticket part of it was used to provide me safety so I could see the show without fear of hurting my self in the name of art. It was awesome, about a dozen robotic creatures came alive and then took vengeance and destroyed a couple of animating structures. The show included flame throwers, a flame cyclone, and flame busting robots. A Tesla Coil dawned the stage (not sure, but I think it was Dr. Mega Volts), that was no more than the parking lot behind the main festival event space. They had fireworks that were going off, sparks that were flying, the thematic were great, and the lighting was pretty good and a great plus. There were so many different kinds of robots, and crazy things, like these two guys were riding around in a small vehicle that had these huge sound wave blasters on them. When they pointed the sound at you, you could feel the sound waves bounce through your body, it was very cool. He seemed to like to drive near the Tesla coil so it could make a connection with his car, it was very entertaining. This group was pushing the envelope with creating devices that tested its audience’s boundaries, with sound and interactive audio/visual stimulation. I want to see them do a led or something lighted display that will help narrate the performance, it needed a little moderation and I would have loved to been guided through it, because I felt lost, trying to look at everything at once, it was almost overwhelming. But I loved it....check the links below for more details...

www.srl.org/
www.drmegavolt.com/index_history.html

No comments: