Thursday, October 11, 2007

EDITORIAL: More than movies at the backdoor Theater?

After visiting the community Center last week to discuss the possibility of throwing an event in the Theater, I was very disappointed to find that the Backdoor Theater has gained a monopoly over this important community space. I have also learned that the Backdoor Theater no longer holds nonprofit organizations status. this concerns me deeply as a Nederland resident and as a person who would like to see other local events thrown in that space. Projects like the Carousel are going to Boulder to the Dairy Center for the Arts and the Boulder Theater for their events because they can not gain access to the Community Center Theater on Friday or Saturday nights. I think that the Community Center should give access to all parties interested in having events and performances in the Theater, and those interested parties should not have to negotiate with the Backdoor Theater to have one of the weekend nights for use. I realize that the Backdoor theater has a lot of community support, they have been here a long time and that their events have the right to be there too, but they do not have the right as a 'private business' to monopolize a 'community space' for the entire weekend. I also know that they do not fill the house each and every night, and this does not suggest that they actually need that much space, for the weekend. The misuse of this space is limiting Nederland greatly in the kinds of cultural events that could be frequenting our community theater. I would like to suggest that the Backdoor Theater consider operations one night a week or one weekday and one weekend night a week. I would like to see other events happening in this space, I would like to see Nederland use this community center to it's fullest potential. I would like to see a fair and just lease with the Backdoor Theater. the Backdoor Theater's lease with the Community Center is up for renewal this December, and I encourage others to speak out before a new lease is signed. I believe this community event should continue without limiting the access of other community events in the same space. Saturday should be a community day the most popular day of the week should be available to the widest possible variety of events. Lets see what Nederland is made of, lets see what we can bring to this great new theater and community space, I'm counting on YOU! Come to the Town Counsel meeting next Tuesday to help discuss this issue, it should be on the agenda.

No comments: